Friday, March 2, 2012

Soup's On

A good bowl of soup makes me happy.  Not until recently did I realize how easy, I mean really easy it is to make.  Canned soup has so much sodium and they always seem to put in one ingredient that I don't like. 


I modified this Vegetable Soup to my liking and it was MMM, MMM good!!




This is what they say you need.


1.  3 tablespoons olive oil
2.  1 large onion, diced
3.  3 stalks celery, chopped
4.  6 medium carrots, chopped
5.  2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
6.  1 large clove garlic, crushed
7.  5 cups water
8.  1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
9.  1 package of frozen mixed veggies, thawed
10. One bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste


This is what you do with all the stuff


1.  Start with a large stockpot.  Saute the onion and celery in olive oil until soft and golden.
2.  Stir in carrots and potatoes and saute for five minutes.
3.  Stir in garlic and cook for one minute.
4.  Add water, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper.  You can add the thawed frozen veggies now or just before you serve the soup.
5.  Heat to boiling.
6.  Reduce heat to low.
7.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours.
8.  Remove bay leaf and serve.


Now, I didn't have any potatoes and didn't see the reason to add the bag of veggies.  I also used diced tomatoes with onion and bell pepper and only a small can, so I cut the water in half.  Check out the sodium content on the tomato can, so much less than what you find on any soup can!  


So very good and full of lycopene and high in a variety of vitamins and antioxidants, especially vitamin A. It's also vegan and gluten free, what more could you ask?


Their version has 213 calories per serving and serves seven.  Mine is just plain delicious!









No comments: